“So what is Bitcoin, anyway?”
Join us for an evening of animated discussion and exploration of what Bitcoin is (and isn’t) and how it works with local tech guru Danny Thorpe.
No degrees in mathematics or secret decoder rings are required – Mr Thorpe excels and delights in creating colorful metaphors to illustrate complex topics in everyday terms.
Topics will include:
- What is Bitcoin, where did it come from, and how does it work?
- The Blockchain – the public ledger
- The Wallet – the vault that contains only a key
- The Hash – sign here with your digital omelette
Bitcoin Laid Bare
- Analysis of Bitcoin praise and criticism
- Facts, fictions, and lessons learned in recent headlines
Bitcoin for Merchants
- The advantages, costs, and risks of accepting payment, compared to cash and credit cards.
Bitcoin for Consumers
- The advantages, costs, and risks of buying with Bitcoin, compared to cash and credit cards.
Common Sense Security Practices
- (that no-one in the headlines followed)
Our goal is to present balanced coverage of Bitcoin features and criticisms so that you may develop your own informed opinion about the emerging world of cryptocurrency. This is not a recruitment meeting, political rally or sales pitch. The only thing we’re selling is dinner!
Dinner will be served following the presentation and discussion session.
Bitcoin Fireside Dinner Menu
- Hummus with pita bread
- Goat Cheese with lemon & thyme served with flatbread crisps
- Dried figs stuffed with feta, wrapped with sage and prosciutto
Greek Style with kalamata olives, feta, bell pepper, red onion and cucumber on lettuce
- Roasted Potatoes
- Stewed mixed Vegies (green beans, peas and tomatoes)
- Honey cake
- Sesame seed crunch
- Greek almond cookies
- Fresh and dried fruits
When: Friday, March 21st 2014 at 6pm
Where: The Quail & Thistle Tea Room, 911 Capitola Ave, Capitola 95010
Cost: $40 per person, inclusive of class and dinner.
Tickets will go on sale Thursday March 6 and will be available for purchase at The Quail & Thistle or online at Brown Paper Tickets. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
Brown Paper Tickets Ticket Widget Loading…
Click Here to visit the Brown Paper Tickets event page.
Your Speaker: Danny Thorpe, co-owner of The Quail & Thistle with wife Cindy Fairhurst-Thorpe, is a long time Santa Cruz resident and software architect. He worked his way up through the ranks to Chief Scientist in the Delphi software tools group at Borland, co-founded the Google Gears project at Google, contributed to Visual Studio Tools for Microsoft Azure at Microsoft, and in recent years has been building security, authorization and authentication infrastructure at Dell Software. He actually did earn his degree in mathematics and holds a patent on a very obscure steganography technique that real cryptographers would simply laugh at – if they could find the data.